How To Choose Aluminum Window
Consider these 5 criteria when building a green home:
1. Energy Efficiency windows lowers household energy bills by an average of 12 percentnationwide.
Lower energy consumption also reduces greenhouse gas emissions from power plants and shrinks a
house's carbon footprint.
2. Durability — Durability is key. If the natural resource used is sustainable and the product
thelps save energy,but then falls apart or fails before its time, that will negate the benefits.
Most premium manufacturers offer four types of window materials:
Fiberglass —Fiberglass frames expand and contract at approximately the same rate as the insulated
glass it holds for improved energy efficiency and strength.Vinyl — Vinyl frames are made primarily
from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which has many advantages, including low maintenance. At first
glance, competing windows may look the same, but there can be key differences in the vinyl recipe
used and how vinyl parts are formed to make a window structurally strong and optimize insulation
Aluminum — Tried and tested over time, aluminum windows provide designers with a sleek and
stylish profile, and provide homeowners with a material that is virtually maintenance free.
Thermally improved aluminum should be considered.Wood — Wood frames remain popular for the
warm aesthetic look. A hybrid configuration of wood on the inside and fiberglass on the exterior
will provide the best appearance and durability.
3. Air quality — Good indoor environmental quality is valued as a major component in sustainable
building. Poor air quality exacerbates many illnesses such as headaches and asthma.
4. Views and Daylighting — In terms of occupants’ health, views, and daylighting are critical.
Daylight improves moods and can provide a connection with nature.
5. Comfort — High performance windows and patio doors add comfort to homes by maintaining a
consistent indoor temperature no matter what the season.
With awareness each class of window material and its environmental factors, a builder will be in
a better position to choose the best window material to achieve the project’s sustainability goals.